Reflection Paper #3

Jingyu Zhang

FIQWS 10105

October 21, 2019

Reflection Paper #3

1. Explain modern day love, courtship, and the typical/ideal relationship.

There is no exact definition of love. Love is a sincere feeling for others. Love is extensive and mysterious. It includes heartbeat and heartache. When people fall in love with others, they will pursue their beloved, the process is called courtship. People would speak sugared words and make a solemn pledge of love during courtship. The typical love is that people live together is not because they love each other, it is like they just carry out their obligations as a family. The ideal relationship is that people love each other and they can understand each other. They can communicate if there are problems instead of quarrel. And they have many interests in common. 

2. Has love and courtship changed from what is depicted in the texts from you topics course? Has it stayed the same? Explain.

Love and courtship has always changed from what is depicted in the texts. There are many love stories with unconsummated endings. Love should not be prosaic, especially in literary works. It would attract readers if love and courtship changed in the texts. 

3. If you were given a two week extension, how would you use that time to make your persuasive essay better?

If there was a two week extension, I would use that time to focus on the details to make my persuasive essay better, such as grammar and punctuation mistakes. Also, I would make my thesis statement be better. 

4. Look at your syllabus. Which reading assignment (from this course or your topics course) has been the most influential or thought provoking? Why? Which has been the least? Why?

Nevsky Prospect has been the most influential. The two characters have different endings because of different minds. Also, it teaches me about idealization in love. The Blizzard has been the least because I think what happened in the story is just because of fate. 

5. In as few words as possible, define narcissism.

Narcissism describes people who really admire themselves.

6. In as few words as possible, define lovesickness.

Lovesickness refers to people who get physical and mental problems because of unconsummated love.